Conference and Workshop organisation:
* First European Conference on "Turbomachinery, Fluid dynamics and thermodynamic aspects, computational methods" (VDI 1185), "Experimental Fluid Dynamics Special Problems in Turbomachinery" (VDI 1186), (1.-3. März 1995, Erlangen) (O.Univ.Prof. Jericha, member organisation committee).
* ASME COGEN TURBO POWER '95 Conference (23.-25.August 1995, Wien), 105 oral presentations, 769 attendees from 25 nations (O.Univ.-Prof. Dr. H. Jericha, European Coordinator).
* Workshop "Biomasse-Heizkraftwerk mit inversem Gasturbinenprozeß", (30.Mai 1996, Graz), 4 oral presentations, 22 attendees (O.Univ.-Prof. Dr. H. Jericha).
* Workshop "Staubbeladene Strömung" (31.Mai 1996, Graz), 6 oral presentations, 22 attendees (O.Univ.-Prof. Dr. H. Jericha).
* Workshop "Laser-Doppler-Anemometer User -Meeting" (12.Juni 1996, Graz), 9 oral presentations, 28 attendees (Univ.-Doz. Dr. J. Woisetschläger).
* Second European Conference on "Turbomachinery, Fluid dynamics and thermodynamics" (5.-7.März 1997, Antwerpen) (O.Univ.Prof. Jericha,member organisation committee).
* Kraft-Wärme Kopplung Euroforschung Branchentage (4.September 1997, Wien) (O.Univ.Prof. Jericha, scientific chair).
* Workshop "CFD-Workshop" (22. Jänner 1998, Graz), 6 oral presentations, 15 attendees (Dr. W. Sanz).
* START-AWARD 1996 , Univ.-Doz. Dr. J. Woisetschläger , "Non-intrusive optical diagnostics of turbulent flows in turbomachinery".
* 10 patent application had been submitted to the Austrian patent office (Österr. Patentamt) Further international patent application concerning the reuse of hydrogen and oxygen obtained from water splitting in a thermal power plant.
The Institute specialises in research and education in the field of compressors, gas and steam turbines and their application in modern power plants, airplanes and vehicles. The results of the research work serve to improve the design of turbo machines, which leads to higher reliability, longer life time and remarkably higher efficiencies.
The second field of activity of the institute is machine dynamics, which covers vibrations in all fields of mechanical engineering, including acoustics. The institute contributes to the improvement of vibrational and acoustic behaviour of all kind of machines.
The large experimental facilities include a 3 MW compressor station supplying compressed air to a test turbine rig, which allows to continuously operate transonic turbine stages in full flow similarity. A transonic wind tunnel allows detailed flow investigations. For flow and vibration diagnostics various laser techniques, an infrared camera system and standard diagnostic techniques are used.