COST Action 270 ("Reliability of optical components and devices in communications networks and systems"):
At the first Inaugural Meeting (December 2000) in Brussels two workgroups were established.
Workgroup 1 (WG1); Reliability of Optical Networks and Systems including Free Space Laser Communication:
- develop models to estimate survivability of optical networks,
- cost studies for different survivability strategies,
- network optimization from reliability and cost point of view,
- defining the weak points in the network regarding components and systems (input for WG2),
- collecting reliability data for components from suppliers and WG2,
- defining the reliability requirement of components for optical,
- networks (input for WG2)
Workgroup 2 (WG2); Reliability of passive components e.g. jumper cables, fiber coatings etc. including high optical power application and irradiation effects:
- reliability tests: test methods and relevant test series,
- Round Robin on certain components,
- acceleration factors,
- high optical power effects in all passive components,
- irradiation effects,
- weak spots (failure mechanisms),
- service environments, standards,
- field data of components.
- life time estimation methods
In June 2003 was a short term scientific mission from a PhD-Student from France Telecom to Graz. In this measurement and simulation campaign "Free Space Optics" (FSO)-systems were investigated in regard to dense fog. The action will be finished in June 2006.